Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Meatless Lasagna

 This lasagna was delicious, made a ton, and was SO easy to make - and there is NO meat!

 This salad was full of all our Farmers Market Basket goodies -
I love these baskets in the summer. They are so FULL of wonderful produce.

So we love some Italian around here, but at the end of the month, most of my meat stock pile is gone from the freezer. I was trying to make things stretch one month so I decided to create this recipe with NO meat. I didn't dare tell Doug for fear that he might turn up his nose - actually, I knew he wouldn't. Thankfully he isn't too picky about always having to meat at the dinner table. But, I did want to see if he would notice. He didn't. I asked him if he noticed anything different about the lasagna, and he said no. I mentioned there was no meat and he was like, "Wow! It is still really good." Oh, and like most lasagnas, it freezes great! We usually eat half, freeze the other half, and eat it a few weeks later. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have! :)

Meatless Lasagna
1/2 box lasagna noodles
2 large eggs
28 oz jar tomato sauce (I used Classico sweet basil)
1 pkg Italian cheeses
1/2 cup shredded mozzerella
16 oz carton ricotta cheese

- First, remove the noodles from the packaging (about half of them) and place them in a 9x13 pan filled with the hottest tap water (thanks Barefoot Contessa for this trick) and let them soak for about 15 minutes.
- heat sauce to simmer - can add spices. I add pepper, salt, sugar, red pepper, and italian seasoning (and sometimes a few cloves of garlic).
- Mix cheese (except Mozzerella) and eggs. Add salt, pepper, and italian seasoning (could add cooked spinach here).
- In a greased casserole dish start layering. Cover bottom with sauce, then noodles, then cheese mixture, then sauce - repeat until gone. Top with mozzerella cheese.
- Bake covered on 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook for 15 more minutes, then set the broiler on low, and broil for 3-5 minutes until cheeses on top are browned.
Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy!

No comments: