Thursday, June 2, 2011

my morning cup of joe


Written approximately two weeks ago...

There is something about my morning cup of coffee. I seriously think about it before I go to bed at night - looking forward to it's warmth and bitter sweet taste the next morning. Recently I found myself pondering if maybe I had acquired a bit of an addiction, but I realized this morning that my yearning for this warm goodness wasn't really that kind of "problem."

As I sit her in my bathrobe, Today show on, checking my email while the kids run around and play, the dishwasher running loudly, the kitchen yet to be cleaned, and should I even mention the laundry, my cup of coffee takes me to a happy place. A peaceful place in a day that is about to become chaotic, busy, and full of life with toddlers.

I realize that this cup of coffee is a symbol - of adulthood, a moment of peace, quiet, and an excuse to sit and sip - if only for a moment. Yes, my cup of coffee is more than just a junky's addiction. It is my brief moment of relaxation in a very busy and fulfilling day.

3 comments:

Dot Moore said...

It is "MY" time before the real world day starts. Enjoy every moment.

j i l l said...

Very well said! I share your anticipation for my morning cup every night as I set the brew ahead timer . . . But do you ever find yourself reheating that last cup two, three times thanks to the interruptions of toddlers? Interruptions I wouldn't trade for the world, but interruptions nonetheless. Love what you said about it being a symbol of adulthood. I haven't thought of it that way--so true!

Alison said...

Thanks, Aunt Dot, I certainly do enjoy it and Yes, Jill, I do have to reheat mine several times most mornings. Sometimes I get about two minutes to actually sip and enjoy, but most of the time I make the kids wait just a few more minutes. My goal is to at least enjoy half a cup before the chaos begins. Glad I am not the only one with a serious yearning for my morning cup of coffee. :)