Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Veggies

I know, I know, I am riding this summer theme, but it is truly one of my favorite times of year. I love the laid back nature, the lazy mornings at the pool, and summer fruits and veggies - they are just icing on the cake.

I don't fry much and when I say I don't fry, I mean like I literally do it four or five times a year. My mother didn't have a lot of time for frying and with my daddy being a doc, he wasn't a fan. Our neighbor, Sandra Johnson, was and I remember many a night enjoying some of their garden goodies, the day's fresh catch, or a turkey during Thanksgiving time (that Mr. Johnson brought home from a hunting trip - of course). I loved getting to eat at their house. So... the few times I fry each year I remember Mrs. J and all the good, fried food she fed me. :)

These onion rings were my first fry of the summer. I do tend to get out the cast iron skillet a bit more during the summer months. How can one resist when I have delicious Vidalia onions and okra from a local garden or Farmers Market. And these were delicious!

If you have never fried before and you want to give these a try here is a quick and easy recipe.

1 sweet onion (Vidalia is best)
cut into thin slices
cover in 1/4 cup of buttermilk and salt and pepper
throw together some corn meal and regular flour (about a cup each), salt and pepper, and a little garlic powder. Coat the onion slices in flour mixture and drop into a frying pan. I use a cast iron skillet with about an inch of Canola oil. I never test the temperature (because it isn't meat). I just drop one in and if it bubbles I know it is good to go. Be careful, though, and don't overcrowd the pan. If you think the oil is getting too hot, then just turn the heat down. It is fun, messy, and delicious.

Once brown remove from the pan and place on a plate with several layers of paper towels. Once done frying salt a bit again - test first - and you are ready to serve. Enjoy!

No comments: