Saturday, December 25, 2010

Cherished Christmas Memory


The room was warm, dimly lit with just the fire crackling, the twinkling of the Christmas tree, and Polar Express alive on the t.v. screen. Both of my children were wrapped up in my arms. Doug was roasting marshmellows in the fireplace. The wonderful smell of graham cracker and toasted marshmellow filled the air. Charlotte kept me entertained with her incessant questions and Douglass Charles with his up and down, not content to stay still long. In those sweet moments I realized I needed to remember this scene. My children small, all a smile with Christmas on their mind, Doug and I passing smiles between us, chuckling at the faces, the words, the silliness that our children displayed.

I hear these moments pass so fast and that one day I will awake to my children being grown, gone, and with them, the magic that is so alive during the holidays. I also know, that these are the moments I dreamed of - when I married Doug, when I found out I was pregnant, when each of my precious children were born. That moment, that space in time, I want to cherish always. The joy, the togetherness, the innocense and excitment of my children, are a gift, my gift this Christmas. A gift more valuable than anything I could ever receive - my family.

Wishing you and yours a cherished and joyful Christmas either with or remembering those who mean the very most to you!

2 comments:

RichParham said...

Yes these moments and times are special and definitely meant to be treasured. I hope that you and Doug enjoy each and every one of them and the many more to come.
Wishing your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Kristi Parham

Unknown said...

The "magic" may diminish with age, but the true magic will reign in our hearts forever. Cherish those special memories, dear daughter--but one day, may they be replaced with our family complete--praising the real Santa--the One who loves us even when we are "bad." The One who really will appear, just as He has promised.
Love and miss you.
Momma