Saturday, September 11, 2010

Greater Things Ahead...

Friday morning I was frantically trying to get to my church to volunteer for a consignment sale. Earlier in the week I had found myself pondering over my lay off again. Talk about a roller coaster of emotions. I had no idea... Earlier in the week I had had a concerned colleague call because he had heard the news. It touched me because he didn't have to care - and showed more concern for me in that one phone call than most people have. The tears came falling again after that phone conversation - partly because of his compassion and partly because of the humble pie I am still not enjoying.

I haven't prayed much over it, just worried over it well - kind of like I do most things (unfortunately), but Friday morning I had a revelation. We had a few quiet minutes in the car. I turned up the radio - which was on the Christian station (not usually where I have it) and Chris Tomlin's song "Our God is Greater" was on.

I heard these words...
"And if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us
And if our God is with us, then what could stand against.
And if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us!
And if our God is with us, then what could stand against.
Our God is greater..."

I realized in that little moment, that God has greater things for me than Chick-fil-A. I thought over this a moment and realized that is pretty awesome. He has something better for me, a greater plan, and my lay off was His gift. Now He wants me to accept it - with open and grateful hands - and trust that HE ultimately does know what HE is doing!

3 comments:

Amy said...

That's a great way to look at it! Stay positive, friend! Let's reschedule that dinner!

The Kimmels said...

So enjoyed this post and our conversation last night. We must have looked like fools with all those tears. ha! Its so crazy how HE works in mysterious ways and reminds us how HE is still there - even when we least expect it, and in my case, forget it because its so hard to believe. I could go on -- but you know what I'm saying. love you.

Unknown said...

Alison, I think God understands when we don't "get" it at first--whatever that "it" might be. Kind of like when we take something away from our children so that we can give them something better, but they cry and fuss. We don't stop loving them or get frustrated with them (well, maybe a little bit!). Sometimes we just have to laugh that they are making such a fuss over something stupid, when we are holding in our hand something so much better. God may be just laughing a little, but I know He never stops loving you--even when we don't understand. Don't let negative thoughts get you down--keep up the good work of recognizing who He is. Then sit back and watch Him work on your behalf. It's going to be exciting to see just what His plans are! Love you, Momma