Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Do Turtles Fly?

According to Charlotte they do. About a week ago I was fixing dinner or cleaning up - who knows - and Charlotte wanted to go outside. We have a fenced in back yard so I let her wander around out there as I work from the kitchen and can see her from the window. She walked back to the wooded area of our yard and started yelling frantically for me. I wondered what was going on so I rushed out there to see. There was Charlotte standing over a turtle. How he got in our backyard I am not sure. Needless to say, she was fascinated.

That has been a week or so ago and the last several days she has requested to go out side to see the "turrr." We have walked back to the woods to look for the turtle. When she doesn't see him she will ask me again and again, "Where is turrr?" I keep telling her that he went back to his home and he is not here anymore. At first she walked through the yard saying, "Turr, where are you?" Finally she came over to me and said "Mommy, Turr sky." She fluttered her hand up in the air like something was flying and I realized that she thought the turtle was flying in the sky. She has said this over and over again. I began to ponder why she would think a turtle could fly.

I had my "Aha" moment this morning. Sometimes Charlotte watches Wonder Pets before she goes to bed. There is turtle on there who is one of the characters. In each episode they get in their "fly boat" and fly through the air to rescue other animals in need. While I am not sure, maybe she has put two and two together. So, turtles, indeed, do indeed fly - in Charlotte's world. And she has provided me with a story that we will chuckle over for years to come. :)

No comments: