Sunday, September 11, 2011

...remembering...

It has been hard for me to even know what to say about today. I guess remembering the terrible events of this day is a good thing - the reminders that our lives can change in an instant, to love and cherish those that mean most to us, the men and women who have sacrificed and still sacrifice to give us our freedom, all those that lost. But it is hard for me to want to remember this day. The fear, the anger, the anguish, the images...

I will never forget where I was, trying to understand it. I was working on the teller line in the main branch of First National Bank in Atmore, Alabama - that moment, the space etched in my mind.

I remember my father telling the same story - never forgetting the time, place, the moment, when JFK died. I must admit, as a child, I never thought that I would have a similiar story, obviously one that would change our American world forever.
Sadly, the events of 9/11 are part of my memories, a part of my childrens' history. A time we have learned from, still learn from, and I still mourn over.

And when I tell myself that I don't want to remember, I remind myself that those thoughts are just selfish. I just want to believe that my life is this little safe bubble - free of all the wrong, ugly, and terrifying. But again, remembering is good, because while I don't want to dwell on the horrible events of that day, that day represents the reason we fight, have faught, and continue to press on for freedom. And that, is worth remembering!

No comments: