Friday, July 30, 2010

Listen & Obey


Showing off her craft


Examining it before I photographed it


The whale she made in her class at church

Around our house lately, if you ask Charlotte - when she is in trouble - what she is supposed to do she will automatically say "I listen and obey!" It truly is a mantra around here as our sweet 2 1/2 year old has determined that selective hearing should be a daily, hourly, minute by minute practice.

So when she came home from church a few weeks ago talking about Jonah I was thrilled that we could incoporate this Bible story into training her on listening to what we say and then obeying us. Her class at church talked about Jonah and the whale for four straight weeks so you can imagine how often we got to bring this whole thing up in conversation.

Has it really helped, I don't know. I do know, that having our faith to draw from to teach our children not only helps me explain these things to her more effectively, but it also teaches her that there are reasons why we do and don't do certain things and sometimes we just have to listen and obey because we (or God) are told to. I am just hoping - and praying - that little by little our values are sinking in to that sweet, and sometimes devious, little mind of hers.

{sidenote: in the pictures above Charlotte requested that I curl her hair with the curling iron - it was our first time to do it. She kept touching it over and over again with both hands after it was done saying, "Mommy, it so pretty!" Love my sweet, girly girl!}

No comments: