Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Roasted Tomato Sauce

 I know you are probably sick of seeing pictures of tomatoes on this blog. Forgive me, but I LOVE their red color. And while they are not my favorite food, there are just so many beautiful aspects about them. Even cut in half and roasted, they are pretty.

I don't know how many of you have made homemade tomato sauce. It was a new experience for me several years ago, and while proud of myself I seriously questioned why anyone would go through the process because ready made sauces are really just as good and SO MUCH EASIER! Until...

I had to do something with all the lovely tomatoes I had been growing and I set out to make homemade sauce again. Ahhh, if you have ever made it you know that it is not difficult, it is the prep that takes so much time. I prefer skins off and so peeling tomato after tomato got just a bit old - and time consuming.

So I decided to roast them and the wonderful part about it is once roasted the peeling comes right off! And the prep, well, there is barely any. Just wait, you won't believe how easy this is!

First wash and cut your tomatoes in half. Spray the bottom of a casserole dish with some Pam and place them skins side down in the pan.

Next, salt and pepper liberally and add any other Italian spices you like. I added garlic salt, a bit of ground red pepper, and Italian seasoning. Next drizzle Olive Oil over the tomatoes.

 Pop in the oven for 45 minutes on 425 degrees. Once done remove from the oven, cover with alluminum foil and let them sit for an hour or so until they are cooled. Once cooled peel the tomatoes - the skin will literally pull off and takes no time. Discard the peeling. Throw all the skinned tomatoes in the food processor - juices and all from roasting and...

You've got your roasted tomato sauce. See, I told you this was easy. I seriously have four to five cups in my freezer right now and enough tomatoes to make another batch. I'm thinking we have a lot of red sauce in a near future... Enjoy!

2 comments:

stephanie said...

awesome! i think this is even easy enough for me...maybe:) thanks for sharing i hope to try it as we have TONS too.

j i l l said...

Looks delicious and simple--my favorite kind of recipe! Can't wait to try it!