Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper Penne with Sauteed Shrimp

So a couple weeks ago my local grocery store had shrimp - as well as some other great fish - on sale. I am trying to incorporate more seafood into our diet, which is hard to do because it tends to be a bit more expensive than other meats. So when it went on sale I stocked up.

I had several peppers - both red and green - available from my garden (and for those of you wondering, yes, green bell peppers will turn red if left on the vine for a long period of time - only IF they can hold out before the bugs get them). I roasted them off one day and put them aside in the fridge. I was craving something delicious, but not heavy and this little recipe just came about. Man, was it good. Since my conscience wouldn't let me get away without sharing the goodness with you, I snapped a picture and recorded the recipe. Here you have it!

Roasted Red Pepper Penne with Sauteed Shrimp
Ingredients
3-4 peppers (any color)
box of whole wheat Penne Pasta (I wound up using a little less)
2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1lb shrimp - deviened and peeled
1/2 cup of shredded Italian cheeses
roast garlic (optional)

Roast your peppers on 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes. Let cool and then peel off the skins. Cut into small strips (you will need to do this a bit earlier. I like to roast mine off the day before just so prep doesn't take as long the next day). Start by cooking your pasta to the package directions. Place butter and onions in a large sautee pan and cook onions until clear. Toss in roasted peppers, garlic, and shrimp. Cook shrimp until pink - just a few minutes. Once pasta is done, drain and drop in with the other ingredients, coating the pasta with "sauce," peppers, and shrimp. Then sprinkle shredded Italian cheeses over and serve.
Servings: Approximately 4-6
Enjoy!

No comments: