Monday, February 19, 2007

Living Well

What does it mean to live well? This afternoon I realized probably more with my heart than my head what it really means to live well.

Many of you know of my personal struggle recently with my job. I quit a job where I was burned out to start a new venture, only to discover that I hated it. With my husband pursuing a life-long dream I had to quickly find another job to help pay the bills. I found one, but was so distraught about the whole situation. Then I realized, why am I so upset about this? Look what I have around me. A lovely home filled with anything I could ever need, food, a car with which to go to work, another job (three jobs in less than a month - more than what most could dream of), options, the ability to have my husband pursue his dreams, the ability for me to pursue my passions in my off-time, a loving husband, a wonderful family, great friends that let me cry on their shoulder, a God who is ALWAYS looking out for me. What more could I need or even want.

So... this got me to thinking this afternoon, what does it mean to live well? Ironically, my mind normally goes directly toward money, but money is not needed to live well. Wealth is so much more than just money - it is family, health, love, friendship, faith and whatever brings life to your soul. In my case - a good meal, finishing a sewing project, decorating a room, hosting friends for dinner, a good glass of wine, a cup of coffee in the morning, the beach, a sunset anywhere. Enjoying those moments I realize is the meaning of living well. So my friends... every once in a while when you feel that life is overwhelming you, stop, breath and cherish this thing we call life because we have everything we could ever need or even want. Cheers!

No comments: