Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Humble Me

Preface: I wrote this post last week. It is a little more on the personal side, but I hope my being open and honest helps you know that in this game called life, you are not alone!

Yesterday my run became a place of solace for me. I usually jazz up my ipod with catchy, bouncy songs that keep me entertained and focused on pushing through when I start getting tired. Yesterday, I was more interested in the quiet.

The first song that hit my ears was Norah Jones' "Humble Me." This song has been following me over the last month or so. I have always loved it, but the chorus has been a little more personal lately.

As the sun was setting, feeling the chill in the air, hearing the soft pitter pat of my feet, and my breath hard I took solace in this song. It has been a humbling year for me in so many ways. Ways I have mentioned here and in ways that are private to my person and family. Sometimes it is hard to understand why life throws you curves, why God allows things to happen, why we don't get what we want. I am not offering any answers here, except to say that God has been using life to keep me humble.

I don't talk about my faith here as much as I should, and lately it has been a little hard to, but if there is one thing I know, it is that my faith in God is always what seems to get me through.

So... next time you are feeling low or life is throwing you that curve - and you find yourself asking why - just know that it is okay to question, to feel your pain, to feel the humility that it brings. At some point you will be ready to accept the love that God ultimately brings and you will find peace.

No comments: