Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sunday's Child



My mother always recited the English nursery rhymes about the days of the week. I have listed the two I have heard below:

"Sunday's child is full of grace,
Monday's child is full in the face,
Tuesday's child is solemn and sad,
Wednesday's child is merry and glad,
Thursday's child is inclined to thieving,
Friday's child is free in giving,
And Saturday's child works hard for a living."



"Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go.
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
And the child that is born on the Sabbath Day,
Is bonny and blithe and good and gay."

As a child I always asked my mother on which day I was born. I am a Sunday's Child. I got to thinking - and my graphic mind to reeling - wouldn't these rhymes be cute in a print that could be personalized or used as cards or for artwork in a nursery for a new baby. So... I came up with the following designs and used the most positive saying for each day, taking from each rhyme. I have decided to debut them on etsy and see what kind of traffic I get on them. I have also been working on a few other things - as you will see below - spinning off the same idea. I love clean, classic lines and there is nothing simpler than lettering, one color and white space.

I'd love to know what you think. Please leave a comment or email me and offer your thoughts. Oh, and stay tuned. I have some exciting news coming possibly next week. :) Some of you already know, ha, ha. You must keep the secret. :) xo xo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ali,

I LOVE these! They make me want to buy them! So my style! I hope you go far with these and see lots of traffic! I can't wait to hear your news...wonder what it could be!?!? ;)

love you! Tell Doug and Charlotte hello!

stephanie said...

LOVE THESE! I can't wait to see them in person. missed ya'll. see you soon...

Anonymous said...

Hey Al its Melissa. this are really cute but the lighter color like the first blue is hard to see. i dont know whether its the computer or not. but i like them alot especially the ones at the bottom for charlotte
love you and call me after your doctors app. :)
Mel